Temporary Work Permits

Canada is one of the top destinations for foreign nationals who are seeking employment due high wages, workplace safety and quality of life. Work permits are issued under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) by Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program has been put in place in order to respond to Canadian employers’ needs in occupations and areas in which labour shortages are high.

This program is composed of four streams:

– High-Skilled workers

– Low-Skilled Workers

– Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program

– Live-in Caregiver Program

In order to obtain a Canadian Work Permit a foreign national must have an approved job offer.

To avoid foreign nationals to take jobs for which Canadian citizens or permanent residents are qualified and available for the IRCC works along with the department of Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). This means that Canadian employers are to submit an application for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which is reviewed both by IRCC and the ESDC. There are some LMIA-exempt work permits that apply to some foreign nationals under different programs.


LMIA-EXEMPT Work Permits

International Mobility Program (IMP)

– LMIA-Exempt Work Permits

– NAFTA Work Permits

– Intra-Company Transfers

– Canada-Colombia Free Trade Agreement

– Canada-Chile Free Trade Agreement

– CETA Work Permits

*Note that you will need a job offer or employee contract in order to qualify.

Some Canadian work permits allows the foreign worker to be accompanied by his/her spouse and children while they work in Canada.


Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

A PGWP is granted to students who graduate from an eligible designated learning institution (DLI). The conditions of this work permit are linked to the length of study. This is categorized as an Open Work Permit which means that the foreign national who holds a PGWP is allowed to work for any company, and as many hours as he/she wishes. To the contrary of the Closed Work Permits described above that are linked to a specific Canadian employer, which means that the employee will not be able to change employers unless he obtains a new job offer, LMIA and work permit.


You might be eligible for a working-holiday visa which would allow you to live and work in Canada for a determined amount of time if you meet the conditions.

This is how we do it

We can process your work permit once you have a validated job offer from a Canadian employer or once you have graduated from a DLI. We work with you to reach YOUR goals. Whether it is to obtain Canadian experience before returning to your home country, or to make Canada your forever home, we are here to guide you and help you through the process.


IMPORTANT: Under any circumstances should an employer, immigration lawyer/consultant, international recruiter or any other facilitator charge you for a job offer or a job interview! When a Canadian employer decides to hire a foreign worker, they are to assume all or most of the cost. The foreign national sometimes is responsible for their work permit fees and other travel related costs. There are no fees to undergo job interviews.