Temporary Resident Visa

Temporary Resident VISA (TRV) – Visitor or Tourist Visa

Whether you are planning to travel to Canada for tourism, to visit a family member or to visit universities that you’re considering for your future education a tourist visa / visitor visa will be needed unless you are from a Visa-Exempt National. These visas can be given for a period of 10 years, but you are only allowed to stay in Canada for a maximum of 6 months per visit.

You will need your TRV before entering the country at any Point of Entry (POE) to Canada.


In order to get a visitor visa you will need to convince the immigration officer working on your application that you will leave the country before the expiry date of your stay which is usually 6 months or less if specifically specified by the immigration officer at the Point of Entry.

You will need to satisfy the following conditions

  • Have a valid travel document (passport)
  • Be in good health
  • Not have a criminal record or immigration-related convictions
  • Demonstrate ties to your home country
  • Demonstrate enough financial means for your stay in Canada
    • This amount will vary depending on the amount of time you will stay in Canada and where you will be staying (hotel, friends or family)

How can Gentium Immigration help you?

  • Free 15-minute assessment to determine your eligibility for a visitor visa.
  • Preparing your application by identifying the key factors to highlight to the immigration officer
  • Organizing your documents
  • Ensuring that you submit a complete application
  • We will take care of all communication with the Immigration Canada on your behalf.

What is an eTA?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for citizens from visa-exempt countries travelling to Canada by air. It is electronically linked to the person’s passport and it is valid for a maximum of 5 years or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever comes first.

 With a valid eTA you can travel to Canada and stay for a maximum of 6 months at a time unless otherwise specified by the officer at the point of entry.

Holding a visitor visa or an eTA does not guarantee your entry into Canada. The officer at the point of entry has full discretion on whether the foreign national is allowed entry or not. 

Who needs an eTA to travel to Canada?

  • Citizens of Visa-exempt countries to enter Canada by air, or transit through a Canadian airport. eTA not needed if the traveller is entering Canada by car, bus, train or boat.
  • Green Card holders (Permanent residents of the U.S.) need an eTa to enter Canada by air, or transit through a Canadian airport.

What can you do with a visitor visa or an eTA?

  • Visit Canada for a period of six months unless otherwise specified by the officer at the POE
  • Study a course lasting less than 6 months
  • Transit through a Canadian airport