Bring your significant other

Being away from your soulmate is a struggle that many couples, married or not, are experiencing. Some met their spouse in a different country, or they recently moved to Canada but could not bring their spouse with them. Some fell in love with a foreign national here in Canada. Gentium Immigration is here to help you be together and build the family you dream of. Spousal sponsorship is a subcategory of the family class sponsorship immigration to Canada and help Canadian citizens and permanent residents bring their significant other to Canada. Canada does not discriminate against same-sex relationship for any of the spousal sponsorship streams.

Who can sponsor and be sponsored?

Any Canadian or permanent citizens can become sponsors as long they meet the following requirements:


– Be at least 18 years of age.

– Be living in Canada or have the intent of living in Canada once the spouse obtains Canadian residency.

– Not be receiving non-disability related social assistance.

– Be able to provide the basic needs of the sponsored individual.

– Not have a criminal record related to sexual assault, or domestic violence, abroad or in Canada.

– Not be in bankruptcy.  


There are three different streams to spousal sponsorship, married couples, common-law partners, and conjugal partners.

Married Copules of Canadian citizens or permanent residents can sponsor their spouse as long as they are legally married and that both spouses are at least 18 years old.

Common-law partnerships are eligible for spousal sponsorship if they have been living together for at least 12 consecutive months, with time apart being short and temporary. You will need to provide proof of your relationship and that you live together such as a joint lease.

Conjugal partnerships are eligible for spousal sponsorship if they are both over 18 years old, have been in a relationship for at least 1 year, and the sponsored spouse lives outside of Canada. Also, the conjugal partners must prove that they cannot live together or get married due to significant legal and immigration reasons.


It is also possible to include a dependent child under 22 years old to your spousal sponsorship application if they are single. They are special circumstances when children 22 years old or older could be included in the application.

Who cannot sponsor a spouse or partner?

– A person under the age of 18 or whose spouse or partner is under the age of 18.
– If you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
– If you are still financially responsible for a previous spouse, or partner that you sponsored in the past.
– If you are in jail, or prison
– If you declared bankruptcy and are not discharged
– If you are receiving social assistance
– If you have a criminal record inside or outside of Canada for a violent criminal offence against a relative, or of any sexual offence.

This is how we do it

Evaluating your options for sponsorship

Creating a plan to help you meet all requirements
Helping you find the best way to prove your relationship to immigration officials

Full representation with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) in Quebec