Sponsorship - Family Reunification Stream

Family reunification is one of the main goals of Canadian immigration policy, this includes

sponsoring a child or parent to Canada. Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their immediate family members, that is their parents, grandparents, children and other dependants. There are some particular situations where you can sponsor other relatives.

The sponsor must reside in Canada during the sponsorship process if he/she is a permanent

resident. However, if the sponsors are Canadian citizens, they may reside outside of Canada as long as they can demonstrate their intention of returning to Canada one the sponsorship process is completed. The sponsor must sign a financial undertaking for a period of 20 years. If you are in the province of Quebec, the financial undertaking will be made with the government of Quebec. 

 In order to sponsor a family member, the sponsor needs to meet the following criteria: 

  • Be 18 years of age
  • Have the resources to support the sponsor

 Who cannot sponsor a spouse, partner or child?

  • A person under the age of 18
  • If you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act. 
  • If you are still financially responsible for a previous spouse, or partner that you sponsored in the past. 
  • If you are in jail, or prison 
  • Declared bankruptcy and are not discharged 
  • You are receiving social assistance 
  • You have a criminal record inside or outside of Canada for a violent criminal offence against a relative, or of any sexual offence. 

Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship

Eligible sponsors may sponsor their parents, grandparents or any relative within the family class sponsorship, if they meet certain requirements:

The sponsor must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Age: Sponsor must be at least 18 years old.
  • Status and Residence: Sponsor must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or must live in Canada
  • Income Requirements: The sponsor must meet the Minimum Required Income (MNI) in the last 3 years.
  • The sponsor must commit to provide support to the sponsored person and their financial dependents as to provide their basic needs.
  • Sponsorship Agreement: The sponsor must sign a mutual agreement with the sponsored person to confirm that they both understand each other's obligations and responsibilities.

The latest update on PGP sponsorship: On January 11, 2019, IRCC announced that PGB sponsorship interest forms are available to potential sponsors as of January 28, 2019 (EST).

The launch of the PGP 2019 includes a new and improved admission process. Potential sponsors may fill out a sponsorship interest form as soon as possible once it is available online. The responsibility rests with potential sponsors to ensure they are eligible before completing an interest form.

This is how the new process will work:

Step 1: Potential sponsors indicate their interests: Under the new process, as in previous years, the sponsorship interest form will be available online, and eligible potential sponsors may allow the IRCC to be aware of its intentions to sponsor its parents and grandparents. The improved version of the sponsorship interest form will require potential sponsors to upload a copy of the Canada status document.

Step 2: Sponsor invitations are sent. Once the sponsorship interest period has ended, and the form is removed from the website, IRCC will review submissions and remove duplicates, then invite interested potential sponsors to fill out an application to sponsor their parents and grandparents, It must be completed in the order that it was received.

 What can Gentium Immigration do for you? 

Whether it is to sponsor your parent, grandparent, child or other family member Gentium Immigration can help you throughout the process by: 

  • Evaluating your options for sponsorship
  • Creating a plan to help you meet all requirements
  • Full representation with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) in Quebec.
  • We can also help you sponsor your adopted child.